Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Back to the Garden




The next step in the stone involves the glass. I mentioned before that I had to choose what colors I wanted to use. This is compounded by two factors, one unique to stepping stones. That is, glass looks different when it is up against concrete that with light flowing through it. The other is that all glass has a grain to it that you have to consider. With these two ideas in mind the next step is to choose the glass and then transfer the pattern to it for cutting. I sometimes use a lightbox for this but this time I chose to cut out the pattern and then trace each piece directly on to the glass. I cut the pattern with special shears that cut a wider line out between pieces. This allows the concrete to get between the glass when pouring. After copying the pattern you then cut the glass to shape.


More later. Today I wanted to show a few of the more unusual plants that we used. The first picture is a little out of focus (sorry) but is a "bat faced" cupthea. If you look closely, the red petals are the ears and is looks like a bat.


No comments:

Post a Comment