Friday, November 13, 2009

glass and concrete

The waterless fish pond is an extension of stained glass stepping stones. I have planned ten hexagonal stones that will sit side by side and create a fish pond. It has two levels, the upper level has lily pads and flowers and a small waterfall to the lower pond which has a variety of koi and other fish.

The first step is to draw out the pattern for your stones. This is the hardest step for me. I can copy anything and am pretty good with crafts but don't ask me to draw. Never took art and can't do it. So I search the web and find pictures that I like and then interpret them. Anyway, first you have to sketch out your plan and draw it lifesize on paper. This is the pattern for the project. This took me a couple of days of research and playing around till I came up with what I liked. Todays second picture shows four of these patterns laid out like they will be in the completed pond. These are the upper pond. The left most drawing should be rotated slightly. Sorry about that.
After this the next step is to choose the glass for your project.  I had to consider what colors go together and which I had enough of to complete the project. Each stone is about 16 inches in diameter so they will take a lot of glass. Blue for water was the largest needed. I hope I have enough. I really didn't want to have to buy more, one reason for this project was to use up some of this glass. Well, thats enough for today. More later.


No comments:

Post a Comment